Here’s a look at what’s happening in our area this weekend. Content provided by the folks at the Lagniappe.
1. Tonight at the Blind Mule in downtown Mobile, come out and see SouthSounds Music Festival’s inaugural Gulf Coast Singer Songwriter Showcase. Local songwriters, including Gregg Fells, Leland Clay, Lane Fisher, Garrett Thornton, among others will be competing for a spot in the festival. And the public gets to decide which one – as each performer will have a tip jar and whoever collects the most money, will get the spot. It only costs $5 to get in and things will get going about 7 p.m.
2. Blush and Bashful! The Mobile Theatre Guild Presents “Steel Magnolias.” In the world of Truvy’s homegrown beauty shop in Chinqapin Parish Louisiana, six very different women come together to share their secrets, fears and love for one another. Show times are tonight and tomorrow night at 8 p.m. and a Sunday matinee at 2 pm. Tickets are $20. Seniors, students and active military are $15.
3. The sun will come out tomorrow! “Annie!” is the captivating musical show for all ages based on the famous comic strip “Little Orphan Annie.” Audiences will delight in the adventurous life of the spunky young orphan girl whose life goes from rags to riches with her dog Sandy and her wealthy benefactor “Daddy” Warbucks. Tonight and tomorrow at 7:30 p.m.and there is a Sunday matinee at 2:30 p.m. but it is sold out. Tickets are $15 for adults, $12 for students and seniors, and can be purchased by calling 251-602-0630. Playhouse in the Park is located at 4851 Museum Drive.
4. L’Arche Mobile is celebrating its 40th anniversary during 2014 and will sponsor a concert on at 3 p.m. at the Temple downtown on Sunday, 351 St. Francis St. with performances by Phil Proctor and the Deluxe Trio, Rebecca Roubion, The Smoking Flowers, Eliot Morris and Willie Sugarcapps( Will Kimbrough, SugarCane Jane, Grayson Capps and Corky Hughes). L’Arche Mobile is a Christian community where people with and without intellectual disabilities share life together. Tickets are $15, for more information please call 251-438-2094
5. The Mobile BayBears will take on the Pensacola Blue Wahoos tonight and tomorrow night at Pensacola Bayfront Stadium, 351 W Cedar St, Pensacola. Opening pitch at 6:30 p.m. Then on Sunday back at the Hank the Baybears will take on the Mississippi Braves at 5:50. Tickets available online at http://www.milb.com/tickets or at their box offices.