Fireworks have been a part of holiday festivities for many years. While they certainly can add a thrill to any celebration, they can also be extremely dangerous, and need to be handled safely and responsibility.
According to a Consumer Product Safety Commission report, an estimated 9,600 fireworks-related injuries were treated in U.S. emergency rooms in 2011.
The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to leave them to the experts and watch from a safe distance. But if you’re going to do it yourself, you need to know how to keep yourself and your family safe.
Here are some safety tips from the Consumer Product Safety Commission:
- Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper because this is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and that they could pose a danger to consumers.
- Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents don’t realize that young children suffer injuries from sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees – hot enough to melt some metals.
- Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
- Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
- Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
- Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
- After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
- Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.
Fox10 News reporter Steve Alexander will have more on this story at 4pm.