Standoff suspect faces long list of charges

SPANISH FORT, Ala. (WALA) – A man who held a standoff with police for some seven hours Tuesday night, July 1, at an apartment complex in Spanish Fort, is facing four felonies and two misdemeanors.

Police said 59-year-old James Anthony Seay of Spanish Fort is facing two counts of shooting into an occupied building or dwelling, attempted arson, reckless endangerment, domestic violence second degree, and resisting arrest.

This, after Seay allegedly shot at his wife, shot at police, tried to burn down the apartment, and barricaded himself inside his apartment, located at The Arlington Apartments at the Eastern Shore Centre, for seven hours.

It all started when police got a call around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday night from a woman who said that her husband had fired shots at her.

Once police got on scene, the victim had escaped the apartment, and Seay was still inside.

Police said Seay then fired shots at police through the front door of the apartment, and would not come out.

Police told FOX10 that Seay was trying to commit suicide by cop, but instead kept police in a seven-hour-long standoff that ended in no fatalities.

“It’s a person who basically wanted the police to help them with their suicide,” said Detective Rick Chenoweth with Spanish Fort Police.

Police said Seay had been depressed for some time, but has no criminal record.

“He’s had several back surgeries, and was drinking some alcohol, and just decided that he didn’t like life last night,” explained Chenoweth.

During the seven-hour standoff, 17 nearby apartments were evacuated in order to ensure neighbors’ safety.

One couple was late for work because of the whole ordeal, but they’re glad none of the other residents were injured.

“I’m really glad it was just a self-contained and isolated incident, and that no one really got hurt, and that they got him into custody, so it could’ve been a lot worse than it actually was,” said Alex Pittman, who lives at The Arlington Apartments.

Police say the only person hurt in the standoff was the suspect himself, who was taken to Thomas Hospital  Wednesday morning, after the standoff, for minor injuries.

“(He suffered) some cuts, scratches, abrasions, had a contusion from where he was actually shot with a less deadly force bean bag from a shot gun,” said Chenoweth.

Seay was booked at the Baldwin County Corrections Facility late Wednesday night, July 2. He should have a bond hearing later in the week.

blog comments powered by Disqus