MOBILE, Ala. (WALA) – The Mobile County Sheriff’s Office has received several complaints over the past few days about calls from their office asking for money.
The calls have been people impersonating sworn officers from the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office.
The following are a few of the scenarios which have been reported.
- Callers state that the person identifies himself as a Sgt., Lt., or Major with the MCSO.
- They state they are calling to allow them to pay a fine over the phone.
- Reasons for the call; their loved one is in jail, they/their loved one has an outstanding warrant, contempt of court, etc.
- The caller tells the person to get a “green dot credit card” in order to pay the fine over the phone.
Mobile County Sheriff’s Office said they will never call you and ask for money. They said if they call anyone about an outstanding warrant it will be to turn yourself in, not to ask for money.
If you receive one of these calls we ask you do the following:
- Do not give them credit information
- Take down the number and report it
- Hang up the phone
You may report information to them by phone, 574-8633 or you can go to their website www.mobileso.com and report under CRIME TIPS.