Although forecasters say they expect the 2014 hurricane season to be a mild one, along the Gulf Coast it’s still vital to be prepared in case disaster strikes.
So, what does it take to be hurricane ready? According to the National Weather Service there are four steps to being prepared.
Plan & Take Action
Be prepared for the unexpected. Have a plan with your loved ones for when disaster strikes, including emergency situations
- How will you find each other?
- Will you know if your children or parents are safe?
- You may have to evacuate or be confined to your home.
- What will you do if water, gas, electricity or phone services are shut off?
Have a list of contact information handy in case of emergency.
- Loved ones
- Local law enforcement agencies
- Fire-Rescue departments
- Area hospitals
- Local utilities
- Red Cross
- Local TV/Radio Stations
- Insurance Agents
Put together a basic supply kit to have in case of emergency.
- Wait until an area is declared safe before returning home.
- Remember that recovering from a disaster is usually a gradual process.