Not only can you get fresh Gulf seafood at Lap’s Grocery and Grill on the Causeway, you can also see their alligators! Wes Moore tells Cherish Lombard the alligators came from his alligator sanctuary in Summerdale. When Lap’s was designed, the owners wanted to put a special emphasis on protecting and conserving the wildlife around the restaurant and bait shop. They also wanted to give guests the chance to see alligators up close and personal! So they built a special area for their alligators!
The alligators at Lap’s don’t have names! You can suggest names on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/LapsontheCauseway
Did You Know?
1. There are two true species of alligator: the American alligator and the Chinese alligator.
2. Alligators grow to a maximum length of 14ft
3. Alligators of 10ft and above can have as much as 1,800 pounds of bite
4. Alligators can live up to 50 years in the wild, according to the Smithsonian National Zoo, 56 is the oldest on record
5. Females grow to a max size of 10ft and there are no external differences between sexes
6. Large alligators can go as long as 18 months with no food. This is rare but not impossible.
7. Many think alligators hibernate, but they actually brummate. That means they react to a cold environment by slowing their metabolic activity, but not to the deep torpor of true hibernation.
Lap’s Grocery and Grill
1595 Battleship Pkwy
Spanish Fort, AL 36527
Bar & Grill – Open Daily:
Monday – Thursday: 6:00 AM – 10:00 PM
Friday: 6:00 AM – Until
Saturday: 6:00 AM – Until
Sunday: 6:00 AM – 10:00 PM
Grocery – Open Daily:
6:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Bait Shop – Open Daily:
6:00 AM – 7:00 PM
Seafood Market – Open Daily:
10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
19500 County Road 71
Summerdale, AL 36580