INGREDIENTS: Basic Savory Crepes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Butter or stick margarine or shortening for cooking
STEPS: Preparation for Savory Crepes
1. Beat the eggs lightly with a fork in a bow.
2. Add flour, salt, and milk.
3. Blend together.
4. Stir in baking powder.
5. Let rest for 10 minutes.
6. Lightly oil pan.
7. Pour in ladle of batter
8. Shake pan and fry.
9. When crepe no longer sticks, leave on that side a few seconds and flip to finish crepe.
INGREDIENTS: Chicken Paprikash
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 medium yellow onions, peeled and finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
2 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon hot Hungarian paprika
3 fresh or canned plum tomatoes
2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and diced
2 teaspoon salt
2 3 1/2 pound chickens, rinsed, each cut into 4 pieces
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoon milk
STEPS: Preparation for Paprikash Chicken
1. Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat.
2. Add onions and sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low, add garlic, sweet and hot paprikas, tomatoes, green peppers, salt, and 1 cup water and stir well.
4. Add chicken, cover, and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes, turning chicken once about halfway through.
5. Remove chicken from pot and set aside.
6. Strain sauce in a fine strainer, pressing down on vegetables to release all liquid. Discard solids.
7. Return sauce to pot, increase heat to medium and simmer until sauce has thickened, 20–30 minutes.
8. When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove and discard skin and bones, keeping breasts and thighs intact. Return chicken to pot, reduce heat to low, and keep warm.
9. Mix sour cream and milk in a small bowl and set aside.
INGREDIENTS: Sweet and Salad Dressing
8 ounces vinegar
8 ounces water
1 – 2 teaspoons sugar
STEPS: Preparation for Sweet and Sour Dressing
1. Make dressing by combining 6 ounces water, 1 teaspoon sugar, 6 ounces of vinegar and a pinch of salt.
2. Taste and adjust ingredients to achieve the tart taste of lemonade.
INGREDIENTS: Cucumber Salad
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1 pound cucumbers
1/2 small onion thinly sliced
8 ounces tomatoes, sliced
1/2 bell pepper thinly sliced
Sweet and sour salad dressing
STEPS: Preparation Cucumber Salad
1. Peel the cucumbers and thinly slice them.
2. Salt lightly and let sit for 30 minutes
3. Squeeze out the excess liquid.
4. Combine with thinly sliced onion, bell peppers, and tomatoes. You may use sliced cherry or grape tomatoes if desired.
5. Add sweet and sour dressing and chill.
INGREDIENTS: Crêpes Hortobagy Style (Paprika Chicken Filling)
1 bunch of parsley
Pinch of ground pepper
Oil for pan
Preparation for Crêpes Hortobagy Style (Paprika Chicken Filling)
1. Remove the chicken from the paprikash sauce. Reserve sauce.
2. Separate the paprikash chicken into small pieces by forking or mincing.
3. Spread the filling on the crepes.
4. Fold crepes over filling.
5. Top with sauce, reheat.
6. Garnish with parsley and ground pepper.
Junior League of Pensacola
3298 Summit Blvd., Suite 44
Pensacola, FL 32503
Hours: 11 am – 4 pm Monday – Friday
Since 1956, the Junior League has been a driving force behind the initiatives and institutions that have made the Pensacola community a greater place to live. The Junior League of Pensacola, Inc. is a non-profit organization of women dedicated to promoting volunteerism, developing the potential of women and making a difference in the lives of others. The Junior League of Pensacola mission is “Women Building Better Communities.”
Pensacola Cooks’ Kitchen
3670 Barrancas Avenue
Pensacola, FL 32507
Open Monday – Friday, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm Saturday and Sunday available for private events
Pensacola Cooks is a mobile cooking education company that offers educational and entertaining (edutaining) cooking classes and culinary events throughout the Pensacola area. Pensacola Cooks conducts classes for adults and children in a variety of locations. Pensacola Cooks has mobile capability and can teach classes in almost any location, at home, at work, and at school. Pensacola Cooks also offers culinary teambuilding and private cooking parties for most occasions.
Additionally, Pensacola Cooks’ offers shared kitchen space for local food entrepreneurs and a lunch carryout service featuring traditional European dishes.