99-year-old woman injured in overnight fire

fire

Mobile Fire-Rescue said a 99-year-old woman was taken to USA Medical Center after receiving second degree burns in an overnight apartment fire.

Officials said the call was received Wednesday, February 19 around 1:30 a.m. at Maison Deville Apartments on Berwyn Drive.

Firefighters said they found the woman at the front door when they got there. The fire was contained to the bedroom.

The woman said she had gotten up to go to the bathroom and lit a match afterward. She said sometime after that, the fire started. She said she used her medical alert call button and told the provider she “was on fire”.

Officials said she had burns on 10 to 15 percent of her body.

The fire has been ruled accidental and caused around $8,000 in damage.

blog comments powered by Disqus