Happier, Inc. is a Boston-based company on a mission to inspire millions of people to be happier in their everyday lives. It claims to have packaged the science of well being into a fun, and easy to use iOS mobile application.
The Happier app was launched in February 2013 and encourages people to collect and share everyday happy moments.
Basically, you use the app to tell your friends what made you smile, or brightened your mood. Users must narrate a trio of pleasant moments via the app everyday. It can be a simple text or picture. Then others using the app can ‘smile’ at your posts in return.
In a YouTube video, the co-founder Nataly Kogan said the app is based on research in psychology, neuroscience and economics about human happiness.
Kogan adds, the act of smiling alone releases endorphins that makes us happier, healthier, and more productive:
- People who write down three positive things about their day report feeling happier, less, anxious and more optimistic. People who continued to do that for a period of three weeks reported feeling more optimistic and positive for up to six months later.
- People who think more positively are 50% less likely to have a heart attack, catch a cold or the flu.
- Functional MRI shows that focusing on a few positive things every day can permanently alter the chemistry of the brain to be more positive.
- Being happier is contagious: If you have a friend who is positive, you’re 25% more likely to be positive. (Dr. Nicholas Christakis, leading Harvard social scientist who pioneered the “happiness is contagious in social networks” research has just joined Happier, Inc. as an advisor.)
- People who express thanks to others feel better about their lives, exercise more,
- and go to the doctor less.
You can read more about the app and find instructions on where to download the app if you head to: www.happier.com.