FAQ’s about your tax return

It’s tax season and the deadline to file your tax return is Tuesday, April 15th. Dan Boone, IRS Media Specialist, talked with Cherish Lombard and answered some frequently asked questions about tax time. Watch their interview and find out what to do if you haven’t received your W-2, tips for choosing a qualified tax preparer, who qualifies for free tax help and how the Affordable Care Act affects the way you pay taxes.

The volunteer income tax assistance program is community based and provides free income tax preparation. Certified, IRS trained volunteers provide this valuable service. The program saves taxpayers the cost of return preparation and e-filing fees. All the same services you pay for are absolutely free! To qualify for the program, your total household income must be $52,000 or less. To find a location near you please call United Way at 2-1-1 or (251) 431-5111, or visit www.irs.gov, keyword VITA.

If you can’t wait for an appointment, you can self-prepare your tax return free of charge from anywhere at any time and receive telephone assistance by trained volunteers. You can use brand name software free of charge by visiting the United Way of Southwest Alabama at http://www.uwfreetaxes.com.

Qualifications for the tax assistance program:

  •  Qualifying income has to be $58,000 or less
  • Must have an e-mail address
  • Telephone help with using software and answering questions available six days a week
  • More information available on the web site

Contact IRS:
Online: www.irs.gov
By Phone: Individuals: 1-800-829-1040
Businesses: 1-800-829-4933
Find Free Tax Help Sites: 1-800-906-9887

blog comments powered by Disqus