Carmen and James Blevins spent around 18 years living in their Fairhope home before it was taken away by a fire on January 8, 2014.
In it, they lost their nearly all of their possessions.
However, they could have lost so much more if it weren’t for their grandson Jordan Wood.
“If he hadn’t been there. I really believe we would have burned up, because I wouldn’t have left my husband and I couldn’t have got him out myself,” said Carmen Blevins.
The Blevins say Jordan was down for the holidays and stayed an extra week to help out after their dog died.
Carmen says she was asleep in the back bedroom when she heard James, who is disabled, scream from the living room.
That’s when she heard Jordan, who was the only one awake, run into the room and yell fire.
“I got up and took my puppy to the car. When I got back in Jordan had picked up his grandfather and put him by the door. How he did it, I don’t know,” Carmen Blevins said.
She says they helped get James down his wheelchair ramp to safety.
After getting his girlfriend Caroline out, Wood tried to put the fire out with a water hose only to realize his two dogs were still inside.
They both ran back inside but it was too late. In order to get out they had to break a window and suffered numerous deep cuts to their arms.
“He saved my life. He absolutely saved my life. If it weren’t for him, I wouldn’t have got out of there,” said James Blevins.
Carmen Blevins says she’s thankful every day that Jordan was there.
“I just believe God took care of us and gave Jordan the strength to do what he did. I’m so happy to be alive and to know Jordan did it. He’s just the apple of our eye,” Carmen Blevins said.
If you’d like to help the family, you can do so by clicking here.